Specialty Products: Low-Floor Kneeling Bus Chassis
Glaval Bus, a manufacturer of transit and shuttle buses, spent more than two years in research and development of a low-floor, cutaway bus based on the feedback of operators and passengers facing the daily challenges of public transportation, including limited space and seating, as well as difficulty maneuvering passengers with wheelchairs on and off the buses.
Glaval recognized that addressing these needs could not be accomplished with a traditional Chevy G4500 commercial chassis and partnered with Spartan Chassis to design and engineer a purpose-built chassis with a four-corner, self-leveling air-suspension and kneeling capability.
The partnership between Glaval Bus and Spartan Chassis resulted in the launch of the Titan II LF, a low-floor, cutaway bus designed to meet the increasing demand for a smaller, kneeling low-floor product for both the commercial and transit bus markets.
The Titan II LF is able to achieve a 1:6 wheelchair ramp slope—exceeding the American’s with Disabilities Act minimum requirement of 1:4 ramp slope—thereby eliminating the need for steps and traditional wheelchair lifts.
The current Titan II LF design features:
- Front and rear air-ride suspension with sway bars
- Front and rear electronic control kneeling
- High-strength, low-alloy steel construction: 50,000 psi minimum yield
- Powder-coated frame for extended life
- A straight entryway and a wider 40” clear door opening for safer and easier loading and unloading of up to five passengers in wheelchairs, no matter the size or position of the chair
- Improved route cycle times with ramp versus lift system
- A Vortec 6.0L 323 horsepower gas engine
- A 5 year/100,000 mile limited body warranty
- A 5 year/100,000 mile limited low-floor structure warranty
The bus is available in 24, 26 or 28 foot models with either a Ricon or a Braun entrance ramp. Other standard features include a dual-door cab, co-pilot seat, LED third brake light and a custom drivers console for easy access to the passenger compartment. The model will soon be available with the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine.
For more information, please visit: